The number of victims and damages might increase as data collection has yet to cover all affected regions,Jakarta, (Antaranews Kalsel) - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) asked residents, especially of Pandeglang, Serang, both in Banten (Java), and South Lampung (Sumatra), to stay away from beaches in the Sunda Strait.
While the death victims of the tsunami keep increasing. According to the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) spokesman Fahrizal, the death toll rose to 334 on Monday. He said a total of 764 people were injured, while 61 others were still missing.
Previously BNPB spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said until this morning (24/12) the death toll has increased to 281, and 1,016 injured, 57 missing, 11,687 took refuge, and 71 vehicles damaged.
The tsunami hit 17 places, including Carita, Panimbang, Cigeulis, Sumur, Labuan, Tanjung Lesung, Cibaliung, Cimanggu, Pagelaran, Bojong, Anyer, Sangiang Island, Menes, Hampeleum Island, Banyuasin, and OSC Lampung, he noted.
The BNPB made the appeal to residents to stay away from beaches in the Sunda Strait as there is still the possibility for a follow-up tsunami to take place. "A series Mount Anak Krakatau eruptions is still taking place that could trigger follow-up tsunami," Sutopo Purwo said on Sunday.
The agency`s spokesman added that 611 houses, 69 hotels and villa, 420 ships and 60 culinary stalls were damaged. "The number of victims and damages might increase as data collection has yet to cover all affected regions," Sutopo said.
But he confirmed that there were no foreigners among the dead victims. "There is not foreigner among the dead victims. All Indonesians," he said.
Thousands of personnel from the Indonesian Army (TNI), police, BNPB, Basarnas Public Works and Housing Ministry, Social Ministry, Health Ministry, BPBD, NGO, and volunteers keep struggling to put away debris from damaged buildings and houses, overturned cars and fallen trees to find the victims and help evacuate the survivors.
Heavy equipment, including seven excavators, 12 dump trucks, two loaders also dispatched to support the evacuation. Other heavy equipment, including graders, tronton, and dump trucks were also mobilized to affected areas.
While LAPAN (National Aeronautics and Space Institute) prepared a remote sensing satellite image of the Sunda Strait region to be used to support evacuation efforts for tsunami victims.
In the meantime, President Joko Widodo met victims of the Sunda Strait tsunami at the Labuan Community Health Center (Puskesmas), Pandeglang, after landing at the Ahmad Yani Field.
In addition to the puskesmas, the president visited the BNPB disaster post at the Labuan Sub-District Office. The president met with the children and inquired about the health.
In the village, the government also handed over aid in the form of basic and ready-made food items.
Previously, the Center of Vulcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation ((PVMBG) said it has recorded continuous tremors with overscale amplitude of 58 millimeters and an eruption of Mount Anak Krakatau at 09.03 p.m. on Saturday. But it has yet to confirm the cause of the tsunami in Sunda Strait.
On December 22 Mt Anak Krakatau erupted and spewed a 300-1,500-meter high of smoke. However, the PVMBG recorded that the tremors did not spark any high waves nor tsunami in the strait.
Pewarta: Antaranews teamEditor : Mahdani
COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2026